In 1847, 416 square miles of spectacular mountain terrain were formed into Highland County out of portions of Bath and Pendleton counties.
The county received its name from its prevailing high altitude; it has one of the highest mean elevations of any county east of the Mississippi River.
With its peaceful streets, small school system, fresh air, and inspiring location, Highland County is an ideal settling place for young professionals, families, and retirees. Perfect for those seeking rural solitude and a refreshing sense of freedom, this remote region is characterized by endless vistas, unspoiled forests, pristine waterways and open farmland.
Browse our membership directory to learn more about the businesses, nonprofits and individuals that make our county excel. If you’d like more information about relocation, including brochures and other materials, please call 540-468-2550 or email email@example.com. We're happy to help!
Our website provides you with all kinds of information about Highland County. If you're looking to relocate, these are some of the most helpful pages you can click on to guide you to learn more. Below are even more resources from our area that we hope you find useful.
Data and Statistics
- Data USA: Valuable resource with data on population, civics, diversity, economy, housing & living, and health in Highland County. This resource includes helpful comparisons and Virginia data as well.
- National Association of Counties: Snapshot of Highland County stats
- United States Census Bureau: Quickfacts about Highland County
- United States Census Bureau: Many tools, including interactive maps, for data and stats
- United States Census Bureau: U.S. and World Population Clock with data
- Virginia Tourism Corporation: VTC’s Research Team assists with a wide range of tourism-related data analysis and gathering, including the economic impact of tourism on the state and localities, visitor profiles, market share, consumer trends, lodging reports, and the VTC’s advertising and marketing campaigns. The goal of the Research team is to provide detailed and timely information for those in the Commonwealth who are interested in the travel and tourism industry.
- In an emergency, dial 911
- Highland County Department of Emergency Medical Services • https://hcems.net/
- Highland County Volunteer Rescue Squad • http://www.highlandrescue.net/
- Highland County Volunteer Fire Department • https://www.facebook.com/HighlandCountyVFD/
- Highland County Sheriff's Office • 540-468-2210
- Highland Medical Center • https://ourhmc.org/
- McDowell Volunteer Fire Department • https://www.facebook.com/McDowell-Volunteer-Fire-Department-586791408450674/
- Local Emergency Services Coordinator, Harley Gardner • 540-468-3044
Victory Chapel Advent Christian Church • Mustoe
Highland Baptist Church • Monterey
Hiner Church of the Brethren • McDowell (north of town)
Church of God of Prophecy
Monterey Church of God of Prophecy • Monterey (north of town)
Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd • Blue Grass
McDowell Mennonite Church • McDowell
Blue Grass United Methodist Church • Blue Grass
Doe Hill United Methodist Church • Doe Hill
Green Hill United Methodist Church • Mill Gap
Hightown United Methodist Church • Hightown
McDowell United Methodist Church • McDowell
Monterey United Methodist Church • Monterey
Word of Faith Church & Revival Center • Monterey
Beulah Presbyterian Church • Mill Gap
McDowell Presbyterian Church • McDowell
Monterey Presbyterian Church • Monterey
Highland Seventh-Day Adventist Church • Doe Hill (north of McDowell)